Dementia Awareness Training
Working in partnership with Birmingham Carers Hub, we deliver FREE specialist Dementia Awareness training sessions specifically for unpaid/family carers of people with memory problems or dementia living in Birmingham.
Every Tuesday our experienced facilitator delivers up to date information to help you in your caring role. Choose from one of six topics which alternate every other week.
See our Dementia Training Timetable for details of upcoming sessions in January to March 2022.
You will learn the facts you need to know about dementia, whilst also gaining valuable, practical carers tips to help you care for your loved one at home and help them to live with dementia, enhancing their quality of life.
Coronavirus Pandemic (updated December 2021)
Please Note – During the ongoing coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic all face to face sessions remain suspended until further notice. However, we can safely offer awareness sessions via Zoom (video call), see below for details.
Dementia Awareness Training Topics
We have a menu of six different awareness topics, each with a specific focus, which carers can pick and choose from to suit their individual caring journey. You may just want to attend one, or all of them, it is up to you. Each 2 hour session, held on a Tuesday at 9am, 12pm or 3pm, will provide you with information, along with tried and tested carers tips –
1. Understanding Dementia – every other Tuesday, 9am – 11am
This topic will provide you with an insight into dementia and how it may affect an individual. The session will focus on –
- How our brain works
- Defining dementia, types of dementia
- Signs and symptoms of dementia, why dementia is different for everyone
- Support and help
2. Communication and Behaviour – every other Tuesday,12pm – 2pm
In this topic we will discuss how dementia may affect a persons’ communication and behaviour, with tips for dealing with challenging situations. The session will focus on –
- Keeping the communication going
- Ways in which behaviour may change
- Behaviours which may be challenging
- Top Tips
3. Everyday Living – every other Tuesday, 3pm – 5pm
In this topic we will discuss ways to make everyday living less stressful, including help and support you can access. The session will focus on –
- Eating and Drinking
- Personal Care
- Continence and related issues
- Safety in the Home
- Top Tips
4. The Impact of Infection – every other Tuesday, 9am – 11am
This topic examines how illness and infection may impact on the health of a person with dementia, providing you with tips on how to recognise infection and when to seek help. The session will focus on –
- Illness and infection which someone with dementia may be prone to
- How do I recognise common illnesses or infections?
- Action to take, help and support available
- When admission to hospital is necessary
5. Life Planning – every other Tuesday, 12pm – 2pm
In this topic we will discuss how life planning may help with legal, financial, and practical issues as dementia progresses. The session will focus on –
- Legal and Financial matters
- Mental capacity
- Difficult decisions
- End of Life Care
- “All About Me”
6. Physical & Mental Wellbeing -every other Tuesday, 3pm-5pm
This topic is all about your health and well-being as a carer, exploring how you can build healthy habits. The session will focus on –
- Stress and distress
- Staying Healthy
- Top Tips