Government Advice

The Government has produced some detailed guidance for anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who, due to a lifelong condition, illness, disability, serious injury, a mental health condition or an addiction, cannot cope without their support.

Creating an emergency plan

We advise all family carers to create an emergency plan with the person they care for, to use in circumstances where help from other people to deliver care may be needed. Depending on the circumstances, this could be help from family or friends, or a care provider.

In order to create an emergency plan that fits the needs of the person you care for, you will need to set out:

  • the name and address and any other contact details of the person you look after
  • who you and the person you look after would like to be contacted in an emergency
  • details of any medication the person you look after is taking
  • details of any ongoing treatment they need
  • details of any medical appointments they need to keep

You should also ensure that it is in a format that can readily be shared with other people who will need to discuss the plan with the person you care for.

Together Matters has also written information to help family carers plan with others to get the support they need during the current crisis. The guide has information and ideas, including how to put practical measures in place. Download here.

Further Information

You can also find information out about local services on the Carers Trust website.

If English is not your first language, here you can download coronavirus guidance translated into 46 different languages.

Useful information and advice for people who buy care and support through a direct payment.

Covid-19 Testing for unpaid carers

As an unpaid carer you can now be prioritised for testing as a recognised key worker. You can find out more about testing on this page.

NHS Responder Volunteers

If you are over 70, an older person with an underlying health condition or are classed as vulnerable (follow link for full list of categories) and need extra support with things such as shopping, collection of prescriptions or just need someone to chat to, you may be able to access help from an NHS Responder Volunteer.

Useful information and support for unpaid carers living in Birmingham

The below documents are useful for unpaid carers living in the Birmingham area.


Pause Call Back Service

#C19 Support Brum Partnership

Statement from the Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise Sector

Useful information and support for unpaid carers living in Sandwell

Sandwell Council has created a list of helpful community groups and organisations in the Sandwell area who may be able to help vulnerable people in the community during the pandemic.